The county’s interests are served by a Board of Supervisors staffed by a county administrator. The City of Menomonie has a mayor/city council form of government with eleven council persons elected on a ward basis.Each of Dunn County‘s 29 cities, villages and townships is governed by an elected council and mayor, village or town boards.
Dunn County was formed out of a portion of Chippewa County on February 19, 1854. The “Seat of Justice” for the county was originally located in Dunnville, near the mouth of the Red Cedar River. When it burned to the ground in 1858, the county seat was moved to Menomonie, where it has remained.
The name for the county was derived from Charles Dunn, the first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the Wisconsin Territory, appointed by Andrew Jackson in 1835. The county covers 858 square miles.
Dunn County Cities, Villages, and Towns
- The City of Menomonie is Dunn County’s largest city and county seat.
- The Village of Elk Mound is located at the intersection of Interstate 94, US Highway 12 and State Highway’s 12 , 29 & 40, offering fast convenient access to Menomonie.
- The Village of Boyceville is located approximately fifteen minutes from Menomonie, thirty minutes from Eau Claire, and forty-five minutes from the Twin Cities.
- The Town of Sheridan is on the northern boundry of Dunn County and provides a predominantly rural lifestyle.
- The Town of Grant is located in Township 30, Range 11 in Dunn County, Wisconsin. The beautiful Red Cedar River flows south through the center of the Town. The residents of Grant are a friendly sort who enjoy their neighbors and appreciate the rural character the Town provides.
- The Village of Colfax located on the banks of the scenic Red Cedar River, the Village of Colfax’s active business, education, civic and residential sectors join together to form a vibrant community nestled in rolling hills that offers the finest of rural Wisconsin’s natural beauty.
- The Village of Knapp has 125 years under its belt, but with only 400 Plus residents, it's hardly too big for its britches.
- The County of Dunn is a mix of rural and urban communities with engaged citizens, strong and diverse leadership, and with a participatory community decision making process.
- Village of Downing
- Village of Ridgeland
- Village of Wheeler
Please see our Community Profiles tool below for more county and city information.